You certainly don’t need a mattress protector, but having one will protect your mattress from moisture, bacteria and allergens. If you don’t use one, you leave your mattress at risk for damage by liquids and odor-causing bacteria.
What Is A Mattress Protector?
Mattress protectors are removable covers that can serve many functions, from repelling moisture to preventing allergens from absorbing into your bed.
High-quality mattress covers stretch over your mattress and are designed to replicate or even enhance its feel. They typically are placed between the fitted sheet and the mattress itself and come in all standard mattress sizes – twin, twin XL, full, queen, king and California king.
Reasons To Get A Mattress Protector
Here are the main reasons you should consider getting a mattress protector.
- A waterproof mattress protector can protect your mattress from leaks caused by pets, children, medical issues or accidental spills.
- They stop allergens and bacteria from absorbing into your mattress or mattress cover.
- Covers make it particularly easy to vacuum up dead skin cells and allergens like pet dander. You can even wash them, too.
- Mattress protectors usually reduce wear and tear, thereby helping increase the life of your mattress.
- High-quality covers are designed to last for years.
Alternatives To Mattress Protectors
There are, of course, alternatives to mattress protectors. However, many of these serve a different purpose than traditional mattress covers.
A mattress topper provides cushioning for your bed and is ideal when you want to improve the feel of your bed without replacing the whole mattress. You can expect a breathable mattress protector to stay cool and comfortable throughout the night.
Mattress pads are thinner versions of mattress toppers. These pads are typically lower quality but provide a decent short-term solution for comfort. They will not protect your mattress the same way a protector can, and are not typically waterproof.
Mattress encasements are six-sided covers that protect your entire mattress. Most encasements use zippers to stay on tightly, although some also use Velcro or other types of seals. Encasements another option if you want to provide protection for your mattress, but can often be limiting noisy, or uncomfortable depending upon the material used.
Common Questions About Mattress Protectors
Here are some of the most common questions people ask about mattress protectors.
Do You Put A Fitted Sheet Over A Mattress Protector?
Yes. Mattress protectors are not a substitute for bed sheets, and the fitted sheet helps ensure your mattress stays clean.
Should I Wash My Mattress Protector?
That depends on the type of mattress protector you have. You can wash most cotton and cloth protectors in a washing machine, but depending on the material, you may need to hand wash it instead. Hot water is usually bad for mattress protectors, so avoid that unless the item instructs otherwise.
The Helix Mattress Protector recommends cold water and normal household detergents, and low heat drying. Don’t use bleach, and don’t iron or dry on medium/high heat. You should also be cleaning your mattress regularly.
Will It Make Me Sweat?
That, too, depends on the type of mattress protector you have. Breathable protectors will not make you sweat, but plastic liners and covers prevent airflow could significantly raise the temperature of your bed.
How To Choose a Mattress Protector
Here are some things to keep in mind when choosing a mattress protector.
- Do I need a mattress cover for guests?
- If your family has a lot of guests over, getting a mattress cover could do a lot to protect your guest room mattress from unexpected mishaps.
- Are mattress covers necessary for my type of bedding?
- Some types of beds are significantly more vulnerable to wear and harm. Having a protector will benefit any type of mattress, though.
- What benefits should I look for?
- The best products usually have a trial period or sleep trial. Helix Sleep has a 100-night sleep trial and a one-year warranty with each mattress protector.
Overall, we think Helix Sleep made the strongest mattress protector on the market. Combining anti-microbial protection with a soft, stretchy coziness, our waterproof mattress protector is the real deal. Check one out for a 100-night sleep trial.